Activated Charcoal, also known as Activated Carbon, is a popular ingredient used in skincare and personal care products due to its ability to adsorb toxins and pollutants. It is also often used in the medical field to treat poisoning and overdose, due to this same adsorption ability. Plus, did you know, Charcoal has even been discovered to be used by the ancient Egyptians!
Activated Charcoal is made by burning natural material such as peat, coal, wood, or coconut husks such as ours, to form charcoal. This charcoal then undergoes a specific ‘activation’ process by heating it at very high temperatures in the presence of a gas, which causes the charcoal to change its internal structure, expanding to create a highly porous surface like a sponge that traps toxins. Not to be confused with the charcoal from your BBQ! While both may be made from the same base material, common charcoal briquettes haven’t been though the activation process, plus they can also contain toxic substances.
In cosmetic applications, the benefits of Activated Charcoal Powder include:
- A fantastic addition to skincare and personal care products.
- It acts like a sponge that sticks to and adsorbs toxins, pollutants, dirt, grease, and oils, making it an excellent deep cleanser.
- Can help to unclog pores and reduce oils on the skin, making it beneficial for those that experience acne and breakouts.
- It works as a skin exfoliant, leaving skin smoother, and improving its overall appearance.
Activated Charcoal Powder Key Benefits:
- 100% Natural origin of Coconut Husks
- Odourless powder
- Suitable for all skin types
- Detoxifying and exfoliating qualities
- Helps to unclog and tighten pores
- Adsorbs toxins, dirt & oils from the skin
- Helps to fight acne and breakouts
Activated Charcoal Powder Uses:
Listed below are just some of the popular ways to use Activated Charcoal Powder and D.I.Y ideas using Activated Charcoal Powder:
- Soaps & Soap bars
- Face masks & cleansers
- Exfoliants & Face scrubs
- Body scrubs & washes
How to use Activated Charcoal Powder
Below are some of our favourite easy DIY recipes using Activated Charcoal Powder. Take care with each of these as ACP is very messy and may stain surfaces you are working on!
- D.I.Y Charcoal Clay Mask: In a small bowl, using a non-metal spoon, mix together ½ tsp Activated Charcoal Powder with ¼ cup Bentonite Clay or French Clay of choice. Add 2 tbsp Water & mix well until a thick, smooth paste is formed (if more water is needed, add a drop or two at a time until consistency is achieved). Once well combined, add in 2 pumps of Fractionated Coconut Oil (or another carrier oil of choice).
Optional: 1-2 drops of Essential Oil can be added to the mixture - Rose, Frankincense, Lavender, Lemon or Tea Tree are all great options
- To use: Apply to your face after cleansing (be sure to avoid your eyes!). Leave for 10-15 minutes, or until partially dry, then remove with a warm wet washcloth, and finish with a facial serum or moisturizer. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
- D.I.Y Charcoal Sugar Scrub: In a glass or ceramic bowl, using a non-metal spoon, mix together 1 cup Granulated Sugar with 1 tbsp Bentonite Clay and 1 tsp of Activated Charcoal Powder. Add in 1 tbsp Olive Oil (or another carrier oil of choice) and mix well to combine (if more oil is needed, add 1 tsp at a time until consistency is achieved)
Optional: 3-4 drops of Essential Oil can be added to the mixture - Lavender, Grapefruit or Orange are all great options
- To use: Use in the shower up to 3 times per week. Massage onto your body, avoiding your face and eyes. Rinse off with warm water, using a wash cloth if needed. Note: This scrub is messy! So be sure to rinse your body and shower very well after each use to avoid any staining. Store in an air-tight container for up to 10 days.
- D.I.Y Charcoal Acne Spot Treatment: In a glass or ceramic bowl, using a non-metal spoon, mix together 1 tsp Activated Charcoal Powder with 1 tsp French or Bentonite Clay, 1 tbsp Aloe Vera, and 1 drop Tea Tree Essential Oil.
Note: if using a store bought thickened Aloe Vera Gel, you can omit the French/Bentonite Clay
- To use: Apply directly to acne spots and acne prone areas. Leave for 10-15 minutes and the rinse with warm water. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Things to consider when using Activated Charcoal Powder:
- Although commonly used in food and health products, we recommend using ACP for cosmetic and external applications only.
- We don't recommend the use of ACP in Bath Bombs - they would be very likely to stain your bath!
- Avoid using excessive amounts of ACP in your formulations as it may dry out your skin, as well as cause the formulation to stain fabrics or surfaces.
- Take extreme care when handling ACP - it's a very (very) messy ingredient! We recommend closing all doors & turning of the fan before opening the jar/pack. Consider laying paper down underneath your workspace and wearing gloves too!
Ingredients / INCI Names: Activated Charcoal
Other Name/s: Activated Carbon, Charcoal Powder
Appearance: Fine black powder
Colour: Pitch black
Country of Origin: Sri Lanka
Recommended Usage: 1-5%
100% Pure & Natural
Our products are ethically sourced from the highest quality ingredients.
No GMO's Or Synthetics
This product is free from genetically modified organisms and synthetic enhancers.
Not Tested On Animals
We are proud to ensure that our products are not tested on animals.
This product is plant based and vegan friendly.
We are dedicated to providing eco-friendly, recyclable packaging.
Dangerous Goods Notice:
This item cannot be shipped overseas or via express within Australia as it is classified as a Dangerous Good for shipping purposes.