Uses And Benefits Of Grapefruit Essential Oil
It has been said that the discovery of grapefruit dates all the way back to 1750, where it was initially known as the ‘forbidden fruit’ of Barbados. However, it was only in Asia that Grapefruit Essential Oil was first produced using the cold pressing extraction method. Nowadays, Grapefruit Essential Oil is cultivated in the USA, Brazil and Israel.
What Is Grapefruit Essential Oil?
Obtained from the Citrus paradisi botanical species, which translates to ‘fruit of paradise’, botanists believe that the citrus fruit itself was initially a hybrid of the Pummelo (Citrus grandis) and Sweet Orange (Citrus sinensis). Since its discovery, different variations of Grapefruit Essential Oil have emerged, most commonly Pink Grapefruit Essential Oil and White Grapefruit Essential Oil. Despite carrying different aromas, both essential oils are rich in similar essential oil benefits.
What Is The Difference Between Pink Grapefruit & White Grapefruit Essential Oil?
In comparison to White Grapefruit Essential Oil, Pink Grapefruit Oil is known to carry a slightly sweeter essence, whereas the aroma of White Grapefruit Essential Oil is generally known to have a far more ‘citrusy’ scent.
Benefits Of Grapefruit Essential Oil
Despite differing aromas, the benefits of both Grapefruit Essential Oils are almost identical. From an aromatherapy perspective, Grapefruit Essential Oil is primarily known for its ability to energise the mind and enliven the senses. In saying this, it has also been seen to alleviate nervous exhaustion and tension whilst reducing symptoms of stress, mental fatigue and exhaustion.
The benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil are also well-known when it comes to skincare. Because of the antiseptic properties within Grapefruit Oil, it is known to have powerful cleansing and purifying abilities. When diluted and applied topically, Grapefruit Oil has also been seen to assist with various skin complaints such as blemishes, acne, cellulite and oily prone skin.
Other Grapefruit Essential Oil benefits are prominent when it comes to general health and wellbeing; it has been said that these benefits of Grapefruit Oil can help eliminate unwanted toxins from the body whilst assisting with fluid retention. When diffused and inhaled, the antiviral properties within Grapefruit Essential Oil are also known to purify the air whilst killing harmful airborne bacteria that can lead to colds and flus.
Popular Uses and Benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit Essential Oil For Skin
How To Use Grapefruit Essential Oil For Skin
The benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil have been seen to protect the skin against air pollution and UV light damage. In fact, a 2016 study conducted by Food & Nutrition Research discovered that a blend of Grapefruit Essential Oil and Rosemary Essential Oil was effective in inhibiting UV ray induced inflammation on the skin.
Grapefruit Essential Oil for Acne
- It has also been said that the antibacterial, antimicrobial and antioxidant properties within Grapefruit Essential Oil can help alleviate acne and prevent breakouts. This is because when diluted and applied to the skin, Grapefruit Essential Oil works to kill bacteria whilst encouraging the healing process.
Grapefruit Essential Oil for Cellulite
- According to a 2017 review published by Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Grapefruit Essential Oil has been seen to be an effective treatment for cellulite.
- To achieve these benefits, Grapefruit Essential Oil must be diluted in a carrier oil and applied to affected areas. We always recommend a 1 – 2% dilution for healthy adults and a 1% dilution for facial application (you can refer to our dilution guide below).
Grapefruit Essential Oil For Hair
How To Use Grapefruit Essential Oil for Hair?
- Due to its natural antibacterial properties, the benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil are known to improve overall hair health. This is because when added to shampoos and conditioners, Grapefruit Oil has been seen to remove suborn microorganisms and bacteria from the scalp.
- The benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil are also known to assist with oily prone hair whilst adding volume and shine.
Grapefruit Essential Oil For Stress
How To Use Grapefruit Essential Oil for Stress?
- Like most citrus essential oils, Grapefruit Essential Oil is known for its naturally uplifting and energising abilities. It has been said that when inhaled the aroma of Grapefruit Essential Oil interacts with the limbic system to calm the central nervous system (you can read more about how essential oils interact with the brain here). In fact, a 2002 study published by the Journal of Japanese Pharmacology found that inhaling Grapefruit Essential Oil, along with Peppermint Essential Oil, Fennel and Rose Essential Oil significantly encouraged feelings of relaxation.
Grapefruit Essential Oil For Energy
How To Use Grapefruit Essential Oil for Energy?
- When diffused and inhaled, the benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil are known to alleviate brain fog whilst encouraging mental focus, attentiveness and productivity. In saying this, Grapefruit Oil has also been seen to assist with adrenal fatigue, low motivation and sluggishness.
- These same Grapefruit Essential Oil benefits are known to be an effective treatment for headaches, stress and tiredness. This makes it a fantastic essential oil to diffuse in any office or study space!
Grapefruit Essential Oil for Inflammation
How To Use Grapefruit Essential Oil for Inflammation?
- When diluted and applied topically, the benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil have been seen to reduce inflammation and boost blood circulation.
- Because of this, Grapefruit Essential Oil may be a useful natural remedy for headaches, muscle pains, arthritic pain and PMS related cramping.
Grapefruit Essential Oil for Digestion
How To Use Grapefruit Essential Oil for Digestion?
- Due to its natural detoxifying abilities, various research suggests that Grapefruit Essential Oil may aid digestion and ease fluid retention.
- These Grapefruit Oil benefits are commonly achieved by diluting and massaging into the abdominal area.
How To Use Grapefruit Essential Oil?
How to Use Grapefruit Essential Oil in Aromatherapy?
- Diffusing: You can achieve the aromatic and therapeutic benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil when used in an aromatherapy diffuser or vaporizer. All variations of Grapefruit Essential Oil carry beautiful citrus-like aromas and are often diffused alone however, because of their well-balanced aroma’s Grapefruit Essential Oils are also used in essential oil blends.
- Warm Bath: For those wanting to use Grapefruit Essential Oil to ease joint soreness, inflammation, arthritic pain, stress and mental fatigue, add a few drops to a warm bath. This is also a fantastic way to create a relaxing and soothing environment.
How to Use Grapefruit Essential Oil On The Skin? (Topical Application)
- Massage Oil: Those wanting to aid digestion or ease inflammation and joint pain may benefit from creating their own Grapefruit infused massage oil; simply add a few drops of Grapefruit Oil to a carrier oil or base massage oil.
- Skin Serum: To treat various skin complaints such as acne, inflammation and pigmentation, you can create your own skin serum by diluting Grapefruit Essential Oil in a carrier oil. This formulation can be applied to the affected areas using a cotton ball. Information on dilution percentages can be seen in the dilution guide below!
- Moisturizers: Other Grapefruit Essential Oil benefits can be achieved by diluting in a base moisturizer (for example, a natural Sorbolene cream) or any other skincare products to boost their existing benefits.
- Roller Blend: A great way to achieve the stimulating, energizing and calming benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil whilst on-the-go is to dilute your Grapefruit Oil in a carrier oil (we always recommend Fractionated Coconut Oil as it is light on the skin and odourless), add this dilution to a roller bottle and apply to the pulse points (the temples, wrists and behind the ears).
Where To Buy Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit Essential Oil can generally be found in any health, cosmetic and wellbeing retail stores however, it is important to know that the quality and purity of essential oils will vary according to where it is purchased. For this reason, we always recommend finding a reputable and reliable supplier who is always willing to provide product documentation.
Here at AWO quality and purity are of paramount importance and that is why we only provide 100% pure Grapefruit Essential Oil. We currently have two Grapefruit Oil variations available to purchase, those being Pink Grapefruit Essential Oil and White Grapefruit Essential Oil. You can view the entire range below:
What Customers Are Saying About Grapefruit Essential Oil
"A wonderfully fresh and inviting citrus scent! Oil came beautifully packaged, I use this daily in my diffusers as well as adding a few drops into household cleaners. Very satisfied."
Miesha (Verified Customer)
“Great quality, beautifully packaged and lovely smell."
Georgia (Verified Customer)
Grapefruit Essential Oil Safety
Whilst essential oils are natural products they are extremely potent and can cause serious harm if used incorrectly. For this reason, we recommend the following:
- In line with the Therapeutic Goods Act, we do not recommend ingesting essential oils without the guidance of a registered Aromatherapist or Naturopath.
- Avoid using Grapefruit Essential Oils during pregnancy and whilst breastfeeding.
- We recommend storing your Grapefruit Essential Oil in a cool, dry place at room temperature, ensuring that they are not directly exposed to sunlight and are out of reach of children or pets.
- Grapefruit Essential Oil is very concentrated and is likely to cause irritation or reactions if applied directly to the skin. For this reason, it is important to first dilute your essential oils before using topically (on the skin). Our recommended dilution percentages can be found under the ‘How To Use Grapefruit Essential Oil’ section.
Nobile V, Michelotti A, Cestone E, Caturla N, Castillo J, Benavente-Garcia O, Perez-Sanchez A & Vicente M, (2016), Skin photoprotective and antiaging effects of combination of rosemary (Rosemarinus officinalis) and grapefruit (Citrus paradisi) polyphenols, Food and Nutrition Research, vol. 1, no. 6, doi: 10.3402.
Haze S, Sakai K & Gozu Y, (2002), Effects of frangrance inhalation on sympathetic activity in normal adults, Journal of Japanese Pharmacology, vol. 90, no. 3, doi: 10.1254
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any illness.