Uses And Benefits Of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
Native to tropical rainforests found across the Philippines, Indonesia, Java, Sumatra, Comoro and Polynesia, Ylang Ylang Essential Oil (pronounced Ee-lang Ee-lang) is extracted - via steam distillation – from the Cananga odorata botanical species. Traditionally used by Philippine healers as a way of healing cuts, burns and bites from both insects and snakes, today Ylang Ylang is highly valued for its long list of therapeutic, cosmetic and health related benefits.
What Is Ylang Ylang Essential Oil?
Derived from the flowers of the Cananga odorata, Ylang Ylang Essential Oil carries an incredibly sweet and floral aroma that is commonly described as ‘pleasantly balanced’. It is also important to know that there are different variations of Ylang Ylang Oil, each with a different and unique scent.
The Difference Between Variations of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
The factor that makes each variation of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil so different is the length of time it undertakes distillation and this is explained in ‘grades’:
- Ylang Ylang Extra Grade undergoes the shortest distillation before the essential oil is collected.
- The distillation process is then continued for a further amount of time before Ylang Ylang 1st grade is collected. This variation of Ylang Ylang Oil is described to be light, floral, herbaceous and overall sweet.
- The same process is continued for Ylang Ylang 2nd & 3rd. Due to the longer distillation process these variations have a subtle woody note.
- Ylang Ylang Complete Grade means that the oil has been distilled in a complete, uninterrupted process. In comparison to other variations, Ylang Ylang Oil Complete carries subtle hints of spice.
Benefits Of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- Due to its pleasant and balanced aroma, Ylang Ylang Essential Oil contains powerful therapeutic benefits and when used in aromatherapy, it has been seen to soothe symptoms related to stress, insomnia, tension, shock and mental fatigue. Its deeply herbaceous and floral essence also makes it a popular ingredient when it comes to fine perfumery.
- When used topically, the benefits of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil are known to regulate sebum levels on the skin whilst balancing both dry and oily skin types. It is also well-known when it comes to haircare, as it works to strengthen skin on the scalp to prevent dandruff. It also stimulates blood circulation on the scalp which in turn, encourages healthy hair growth.
- From a medicinal perspective, the antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties within Ylang Ylang Oil work to heal small wounds and prevent potential infections caused by harmful bacteria, viruses and fungi. The hypotensive activity within this oil is also believed to balance blood pressure whilst normalising the heart rate.
Popular Uses and Benefits of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
Ylang Ylang Essential Oil for Stress
How To Use Ylang Ylang Essential Oil for Stress
- Ylang Ylang Essential Oil is comprised of naturally occurring sedative and calming properties, making it a fantastic essential oil for stress.
- Its pleasant aroma has been seen to instantly uplift moods whilst regulating emotions.
- To receive the incredibly relaxing, stress relieving benefits of Ylang Ylang Oil, try adding a few drops to an aromatherapy diffuser, electric vaporiser or diffuser necklace.
Ylang Ylang Essential Oil for Skin
How To Use Ylang Ylang Essential Oil on the Skin
- From a skincare perspective, the benefits of Ylang Ylang Oil are best known to regulate oil production on the skin; this makes it great for both oily prone and dry skin types.
- The anti-inflammatory properties also work to alleviate irritation whilst conditioning and hydrating the skin.
- These anti-inflammatory properties, along with the antiseptic and microbial activity, makes Ylang Ylang Oil a fantastic essential oil for acne.
- It is also known to reduce the appearance of fine lines and other signs of aging.
Ylang Ylang Essential Oil for Hair
How To Use Ylang Ylang Essential Oil for Hair
- When used on the hair, Ylang Ylang Oil has been seen to moisturise the scalp to prevent dandruff.
- The stimulating properties within this oil also work to increase circulation on the scalp which in turn, encourages healthy hair growth.
Ylang Ylang Essential Oil for Health
How To Use Ylang Ylang Essential Oil for Health and Wellbeing
- Known to stimulate circulation, the health benefits of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil have been seen to alleviate inflammation and pain whilst easing feelings of nervousness and sadness.
- Due to the powerful antispasmodic, antidepressant and sedative properties, Ylang Ylang Oil is also believed to be an effective agent for premenstrual symptoms such as mood swings and cramping.
Ylang Ylang Essential Oil for Sleep
How To Use Ylang Ylang Essential Oil for Sleep
- Ylang Ylang Oil contains sedative properties that are known to quieten the nervous system and promote restful sleep.
- These Ylang Ylang Oil benefits can be received by diffusing your essential oil 30 – 60 minutes before sleep.
How To Use Ylang Ylang Essential Oil?
How to Use Ylang Ylang Essential Oil in Aromatherapy?
- Diffusing: Simply add a few drops to an aromatherapy diffuser or electric vaporizer. You can also add a few drops to an aromatherapy necklace or mini personal diffuser. This is a great way to receive the therapeutic benefits of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil. It is also beneficial to those wanting to create a pleasant and relaxing atmosphere.
- Warm Bath: You can add a few drops to a warm bath; the aroma will rise with the steam which will create a soothing and relaxing environment. This is also a great way to ease muscle tension and soreness.
How to Use Ylang Ylang Essential Oil on the Skin? (Topical Application)
- Massage: Another way to ease muscle soreness is through massage. Simply dilute your Ylang Ylang Oil in a massage oil or carrier oil and gently massage sore areas.
- Face Serum: Those wanting to experience the skin related benefits of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil, dilute a few drops into a carrier oil and apply to effected areas using a cotton ball. Let the oil absorb into the skin.
- Moisturizers: Other Ylang Ylang Oil benefits can be received by diluting your oil into a base moisturiser or lotion (such as a sorbelene cream).
Where To Buy Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
Ylang Ylang Essential Oil can generally be found in any health, cosmetic and wellbeing retail stores however, it is important to know that the quality and purity of essential oils will vary according to where it is purchased. For this reason, we always recommend finding a reputable and reliable supplier who is always willing to provide product documentation.
Here at AWO quality and purity are of paramount importance and that is why we only provide 100% pure Ylang Ylang Essential Oil. We currently have a variety of different Ylang Ylang Essential Oil variations consisting of Ylang Ylang 1st, Ylang Ylang 3rd, Ylang Ylang Complete and Ylang Ylang Complete Certified Organic. You can view the entire range below:
What Customers Are Saying About Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
“Such beautiful notes. Great quality essential oils”
Kylee (Verified Customer) on Ylang Ylang 1st Essential Oil
“Very good quality and price. Can’t wait to place my next order as I expand my collection”
Leanne (Verified Customer) on Ylang Ylang 3rd Essential Oil
“I’m on my third bottle and I love it. Makes my whole house smell fresh. Visitors always comment on the lovely fragrance”
Madeleine (Verified Customer) on Ylang Ylang Complete Essential Oil
Ylang Ylang Essential Oil Safety
Whilst essential oils are natural products, they are extremely potent and can cause serious harm if used incorrectly. For this reason, we recommend the following:
- In line with the Therapeutic Goods Act, we do not recommend ingesting essential oils without the guidance of a registered Aromatherapist or Naturopath.
- Avoid using Ylang Ylang Essential Oils during pregnancy and whilst breastfeeding.
- We recommend storing your Ylang Ylang Essential Oil in a cool, dry place at room temperature, ensuring that they are not directly exposed to sunlight and are out of reach of children or pets.
- Ylang Ylang Essential Oil is known to be toxic to dogs and pets and for this reason, we strongly advise against using this oil whilst pets are present.
- Ylang Ylang Essential Oil is very concentrated and is likely to cause irritation or reactions if applied directly to the skin. For this reason, it is important to first dilute your essential oils before using topically (on the skin). Our recommended dilution percentages can be found under the ‘Directions for Use’ section.
Haze S, Sakai K & Gozu Y, (2002), Effects of frangrance inhalation on sympathetic activity in normal adults, Journal of Japanese Pharmacology, vol. 90, no. 3, doi: 10.1254
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any illness.