A new, natural ingredient taking the skincare industry by storm, Bakuchiol (pronounced bah-koo-chee-ol) is quickly becoming regarded as nature’s alternative to Retinol.
Bakuchiol is extracted from the seeds of the Babchi (Psoralea corylifolia) plant, an herb that has been used in traditional Indian Ayurvedic and Chinese medicines for centuries. The extracted substance, Bakuchiol, has since undergone studies alongside Retinol (a non-natural derivative of Vitamin A) where the results found Bakuchiol to be just as effective, but without the harsh side effects that can often accompany retinol use such as irritation, sensitivity, peeling & burning.
This plant-based ingredient is a powerful antioxidant that has seen promising findings for anti-ageing, by helping to reduce & prevent fine lines & wrinkles, stimulate collagen production, increase skin firmness & elasticity, and lessen the appearance of pores, uneven skin tone & hyperpigmentation.
The benefits of Bakuchiol are remarkable - so it’s no wonder it’s becoming a key ingredient in many natural skincare products on the market!
- Bakuchiol is gentle on skin and therefore generally considered safe for all skin types, and safe to use twice daily (morning and night).
- Unlike Retinol, Bakuchiol isn’t known to cause skin sensitivity in the sun, create irritation or dry out skin, plus it’s also considered safe to use while pregnant and breastfeeding.
- Bakuchiol works by triggering skin cells to speed up regeneration and cell turnover, as well as promote collagen production – a necessity for skin health and a youthful appearance.
- As a potent antioxidant, Bakuchiol works to protect cells from free-radical damage caused by pollution, UV exposure, and other harsh environmental stressors.
- It penetrates deeply into the skin and can help to reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation, dark spots, and uneven skin tone in general, as well as refining the skins texture.
- Its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties help to heal, calm & soothe the skin – therefore Bakuchiol can also be beneficial when it comes to blemish-prone or sensitive skin.
Bakuchiol Key Benefits:
- 100% Natural plant-based origin
- Natural Retinol alternative
- Powerful antioxidant action
- Anti-inflammatory & antibacterial properties
- Ideal for natural anti-ageing products
- Safe for all skin types
- Speeds up skin cell regeneration & turnover
- Stimulates collagen production
- Protects cells from free-radical damage
- Works to reduce & prevent fine lines & wrinkles
- Helps reduce hyperpigmentation & dark spots
- Increases skin firmness & elasticity
- Promotes refined & smooth skin texture
- Can reduce the appearance of pores
- Works to heal, calm & soothe the skin
- May benefit acne-prone skin
- Non-irritating, ideal for sensitive skin
- Does not cause sun skin sensitivity
Bakuchiol Uses & Applications:
Popular uses for Bakuchiol are:
- Serums & Moisturizers
- Anti-ageing products
- Acne-care products
How to use Bakuchiol
It's easy to enjoy the benefits of Bakuchiol yourself at home:
- Skin Serum: Create your own anti-ageing skincare serum by mixing together 1ml Bakuchiol, with 100ml of any carrier oil (or combination of carrier oils) of your choosing - we love Jojoba, Cacay, Rosehip and Sacha Inchi!
Optional: Add 10-12 drops of your favourite Essential Oil to add a lovely scent and increase the healing benefits
- Existing Skincare Products: You can add Bakuchiol to any existing skincare product (serums & moisturisers work best) to enhance the antioxidant action and anti-ageing benefits. The recommended usage is 0.5-1%, so be sure to only add a tiny amount, and always calculate where possible to get the most accurate percentage.
Note: Before adding to an existing product, be sure to check the ingredient listing first to ensure it doesn't already contain Bakuchiol.
Things to consider when using Bakuchiol
- AWO's Bakuchiol is a 100% pure ingredient - it is NOT a completed skincare product. To enjoy the benefits of this product it must be formulated with other ingredients at a recommended dilution od 0.5 to 1%. Do not use directly on your skin.
- Like with any natural skin product, always complete a patch test first to check that your skin is tolerant.
Ingredients: 100% Bakuchiol
INCI Name: Bakuchiol
Botanical Name: Psoralea corylifolia L.
CAS #: 10309-37-2
Accreditations/Statements: EcoCert Cosmos Approved, USDA Organic Certified
Plant Origin: Derived from the seeds of Psoralea corylifolia plant
Appearance: Viscous Liquid
Colour: Light yellow to Brownish yellow
Country of Origin: China
Solubility/Miscibility: Miscible in Alcohol, Oil, and a wide-range of other hydrophobic emollients.
Recommended Usage: 0.5 to 1%
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- AWO's Bakuchiol is a 100% pure ingredient - it is NOT a completed skincare product. To enjoy the benefits of this product it must be formulated with other ingredients. Do not use directly on your skin.
100% Pure & Natural
Our products are ethically sourced from the highest quality ingredients.
No GMO's Or Synthetics
This product is free from genetically modified organisms and synthetic enhancers.
Not Tested On Animals
We are proud to ensure that our products are not tested on animals.
This product is plant based and vegan friendly.
We are dedicated to providing eco-friendly, recyclable packaging.
Dangerous Goods Notice:
This item cannot be shipped overseas or via express within Australia as it is classified as a Dangerous Good for shipping purposes.